Temple Lofts HOA

General Board Minutes

(6 October 2022)

Call to order: 07:00 am/pm 

In Attendance: ⬛(present) ⬜ (absent) 

  • ⬛ (Off Site Property Manager) – Itay Zigdon 
  • ⬛ (On-Site Property Manager) – Daniel Delgado
  • ⬛ (President) –  Chris Higgins
  • ⬛ (Secretary) – Kevin Long
  • ⬛ (Treasurer) – Kirsten Severson



Board and On-Site Manager Updates 

  • Security
    • Front Doors: Additional security – Sandwiched laminate tempered glass
    • Kevin working with PD to coordinate with a local representative. Temple lofts should NOT do anything that would possibly cause harm.
    • Directing Mr. Delgado to clean any added “grease” off of the ledge.
      • Calling the Police (#1) – same as SFR
      • After Police: the “Emergency Line” to give police access and review video
      • FENCING: more height, barbed/razor wire, “security fence” types
      • KEYFOB: Main building entry to eliminate the desire to hop the fence
      • Remote Service – after hours monitoring
      • Camera monitoring: Event triggering
      • NEXT STEPS:
        • Setting up the Emergency Line, Getting the contract
        • Call the police if someone climbs over the fence
          • THEN call “Emergency Line”
        • Keyfob monitoring quote (referencing old ) vs. Internal (estimating $20k)
        • Sliding doors and windows are RESIDENT responsibility so please make sure you’re securing your doors and windows.
        • Add blocks or extra locks – whatever you feel is safe.
  • Spa Gameplan – Removal, Repair, Seal, Purchase, Install
    • Short Term: Removal ($4k), TBD: Rust Removal ($4k), TBD: Conversion/Sealing ($1k), TBD: True-up with city
    • Next Steps: Quotes for installation (TBD), Quotes for the spa shell (~$40k)
  • Main HOA Insurance
    • Insurance costs increased from $30k (Farmers) to $100k (secondary market)
    • Talked to: 7 different insurers, 3 downtown historic buildings, waiting on State Farm (hopeful)
    • Currently: Waiting for State Farm quote – require us to quote the center building rebuild
  • Budget Kickoff for 2023
    • Divining into the budget with our “Finance Team” after September reports come out 10/15
    • Schedule a meeting to discuss between late October and mid November
  • 2023 Goal planning
    • Spa – purchase and installation
  • Rentals:
    • Vehicle: 3 spots: 3 taken, 0 available
    • Bike Racks: <tbd>, 1 available (hanging space)
    • Storage: 2nd (taken), 3rd (open), 4th (open), 5th (open), 6th (taken)


Current Status:

  • Current Violation Focus:
    • Trash, Animals, Vehicle Gates + Pedestrian Access (Security issues), Harassment, Anything in parking but empty wagon/cart or explicitly allowed items
    • Subsequent fines for the same issue have higher amounts and escalate (1st is $100, 2nd is $200, etc)
  • New Owners/Residents Page: Planned website update per new resident miscommunications
    • Noticed in the rules and regulations.
      • Even if not structural or in need of permit, if it’s work in the unit that causes noise and could be a nuisance, the architectural form is needed. Again, due to the noise and should be communicated.
      • Shon suggested that special instructions should come from the request of escrow to property management when they must provide financial statements. He said property management should provide special instructions at that time which would help cover us as well.
      • The packet of special instructions to schedule, would include:
        • Request to make communication with property manager. Get updated information and send to myself.
        • Schedule a walk around of the community and information to be imputed in the call box.
        • Schedule Move in.
        • How to get work done, how to get Cable or who to call, again the architectural form.
        • Where to go for additional resources like Website.
        • Hyperlink to the City of Long Beach for utilities and ordinances.
  • Phone Lines: Emergency Line and Fire Response Service – resident activity, paid per call, sign-ups!
    • Emergency Line:
      • Process: Volunteers for a service line (4-5 people), person that answers/covers the issue receives $50 per occurrence, and can escalate to our vendors and board if necessary.
      • Response: Explain process to caller, provide vendor contact info, send a note to Management and Board
    • Fire Response Service:
      • Process: Volunteers for a service line (4-5 people), person that answers/covers the issue receives $50 per occurrence, and can escalate to board if necessary.
      • Response: Turn off the alarm, check unit noted on alarm, call fire notifier service to cancel call, send a note to Management and Board.
  • 2022 Goals: Building Insurance, Spa Progress (quotes for concrete removal), Outdoor Furniture
  • 2022 Ongoing: 
    • Spa Project – DEEP DIVE  
      • Timeframe: Earliest Q3-4 2022, Latest Q1-2 2023 
      • Quoting, focusing on above-ground stand-alone systems, attempting to understand requirements 
      • Remove old deck, Cement area, level Spa pad 
        • $33k: Parker (boiler guy) 
        • Working Secondary quotes 
      • Above-ground spa – reasonable quotes so far: 
        • $82k: $61k Stainless Steel spa, $10k drawings, $4k shipping, $7k taxes ($65k if our own equipment) 
        • $42k: $25.5k Shell spa, $5k aquatics plan, $2.5k shipping, $8.5k equipment 
      • Additional Requirements: stairs, outer-frame, ADA compliant mobile lift,  
      • Current thoughts: 
        • Back and forth on: “Do it!” vs. “Push it off” vs “Middle-ground…” vs. Special Assessment vs. Loan 
        • Move forward on deck removal, cement, spa pad, common area furniture 
    • Common Area Furniture: Cheap and often vs. Expensive and long-term 
      • Prior high-quality furniture was auctioned and replaced with cheap furniture rather than refinishing 
      • Targeting a hopeful middle-ground, possibly enlisting local support 


  • 2022 Accomplishments: 
    • Temple Documents (SUCCESS!) 
    • Fire Fixes: Lots of units had non-working equipment 
    • Cleaning: Electrical and Telcom rooms 
      • Telecom Closets: 1st floor to 6th floor have been cleaned. Temporarily using the 6th floor closet for tenant storage.  
      • Electrical Rooms: South front/Spa room, South electrical/data room  
      • TBD: Telecom/Data Room in Basement Garage: Lots of large garbage
      • TBD: North guest Parking Electrical Room: Lots of construction material 
    • Fixes: 
      • Delgado sealed HVAC on the roof 
      • Air handling: basement exhausting to roof, venting from storage doors, all Air Handlers running 
    • Security Issues and Updates: Thefts and Upgrades
      • Metal angled pieces you can’t stand/balance on.  Installed on all 4 ledges to make that a more impossible feat
    • Window Washing – Complete, feedback?  
    • Roofing: Final repairs, all roofs setup on maintenance schedules 
    • Front Door Painting & Corner Bumps on first floor 
    • Fire Fixes: Finally got up to speed after years of being out of compliance and alarms and equipment being out of spec. 
    • Designer: (Complete)
    • Elevator Companies: Ported to new contract to save $6k 
    • NOTES: 
      • Late Payments: Just talk with us, otherwise without response it has to be legal, official, and expensive 
      • Rules and Fines: Noted within official docs, Website, Newsletter, Minutes, Emails… 
      • Current fine focus: Trash/Animals, Security (vehicle gate, don’t let people into the building you don’t know) 
      • Permits: If you are having work done, you have to abide by all required permits –  
        • If the management finds out a permit wasn’t achieved and was required, we’ll have to come back and require it or the work will have to be reversed at the owner’s expense… same as if the city inspects. 
      • Communications: Online communications flow 
    • Mills Act: Low priority – Leveraging Garry’s contact, working with City, website being updated with Temple, 1 multi-unit building is allowed into the program per year 
    • Garage/Storage water Leaks 
    • NPNA (North Pine Neighborhood Alliance): Tracking the 810 Pine adjacent building proposal. 


Open Forum 


  • We’re working on addressing the biggest issues first, everything else is prioritized in our backlog 
  • Feel free to ask about or challenge prioritization, doing the research yourself will help get it done faster 
  • Think about “What’s your goal?”, “Is this something that can be fixed?”, “Is this specific to my unit or the community”



  • Angela:  
    • Trespasser went down the staircase 
      • (Higgins/Long) Flip the lock so you can’t get into the garage from this path.  This would effectively (with the keyfobs) lock down the main building. 
    • Raised the concern of the windows/sliding doors 
    • Talking about mechanisms:  
      • Putting glass up higher 
    • Agrees to involve/suggest that the community is notified with information and the process 
  • Chris Pluck/Angela: 
    • How many times has this trespasser come on site. 
      • (Higgins/Delgado) we believe it’s 2x thus far 
  • Pluck: 
    • Security group walk the floors – suggesting to stop this person in some way? 
  • Marian: 
    • Climbing up to unit 219 or so onto the balcony 
    • The person was not wearing gloves, although he has in the past worn gloves 
    • (and Ivan) More patrols from the police department, specific times that the individual are coming out 
      • Delgado: 1-3am is when these individuals come out 
  • Leigh: 
    • Possibility of electrifying the fence (ask locksmith) 
    • What about a sign indicating the electrification 
    • Spa: possibly talk about not keeping it 
  • Wade: 
    • Wondering the path –  
    • (Higgins) Got into the garage 
  • Mark: 
    • Two cost items: Insurance and Spa 
    • Spa: One-time deal 
    • Insurance: hopefully we can get that brought back down 
    • Spa: should we ask how many people use this? 
    • Reasonable cost to 1) raise fence, has to be a tradeoff 
    • Misdemeanor petty larceny, Unit is class B felony 
    • Suggestion: When we do have incidents, could we post a notice/instance, be vigilant, give them the process 
  • Zara/316: 
    • SPA: 316 is FOR the spa, there’s 4 of them that want it and use the spa constantly.  Purchased the spa with that expectation.  Water feature was part of the place. 
    • Criminal: Expectation and uproar in the community, it seems a little over the top 
    • Possibly move the bikes elsewhere, like in the storage 



  • When we do have incidents, could we post a notice/instance, be vigilant, give them the process 



Previous Action Items: 

Date  Person  Action 

Action Items:

Adjournment: 8:00pm

Prepared by: Name (Title) Chris Higgins (President)